Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Educating clients to not only survive a divorce, but to move past it by meeting fact-based expectations
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. High-net Worth Child Support
  4.  » What should you do when your ex avoids paying child support

What should you do when your ex avoids paying child support

On Behalf of | Sep 7, 2021 | High-net Worth Child Support |

Divorce can complicate parenting efforts, especially if your ex refuses to comply with court orders. Not receiving child support payments, for example, can cause financial strain and stress as you try to provide for your children.

By law, your ex must pay child support payments or legal repercussions could apply. Knowing how to respond in this situation may enable you to recognize when to take action so you can avoid ongoing problems.

Communicate your concerns

The first step to take if your spouse withholds child support is to express your frustration directly. Away from your children, remind your ex of the court order and ask for clarification about the missing payments. If your ex has run into financial problems such as job loss, you may suggest modifying the court order or at least contacting the courts to prevent unnecessary repercussions.

If your spouse refuses to comply out of spite or other uncivil reasons, nothing may come of your discussion. When you have tried everything in your power to encourage responsibility and it continues to produce futile results, you may benefit from taking your concerns to someone with more power.

Report your situation

You have the right to report your situation to the courts. Hiring a legal professional to aid in this process can help you to describe the facts in a compelling manner. According to the Office of Child Support Enforcement, some of the consequences of unpaid child support include the following:

  • Property liens
  • Tax refund interception
  • Passport denial
  • Driver’s license suspension

A levy on personal financial accounts and a formal report of unpaid dues to credit bureaus are other consequences your ex may face. Proactive action can help you get a handle on your situation so you get the support you need and deserve.